Thursday, September 10, 2015

I am posting this now because I will not have time tomorrow to do so. Yesterday my host mom asked if I was sad because I looked like I was sad, I said no, which at the time I wasn't. Looking back at yesterday and today I realized I was a little sad and had a lot on my mind. Because it occurred to me that tomorrow at 8:45 am or 2:45pm my time that it will mark the 14th anniversary of 9/11. It makes me sad because it was a tragic day in our history and our lives would never be the same, but what really makes me sad it that My age group (18) is the last ones that actually remember that day. I first noticed this last year at Heritage when they held the moment of silence for 9/11, the freshmen and sophomores continued chatting like nothing was going on. They didn't remember that day so it wasn't important to them even though some of them knew what happened. the Junior class knew what went on and some were silent and some chatted. but it was only the senior class that I noticed was completely silent except for a select few. We remembered that day and what it was like. That is when I knew we were the last youngest ones that truly feel the pain from that day. It then occurred to me here that, do they know what tomorrow is or is it just another day for them. so I asked some of my class mates and they had "learned ABOUT it" but they had no emotional attachment to the day whatsoever unlike we do. Rotary's motto is peace through understanding, but I don't think I will ever understand why, nor will the scar left ever fully heal. I would just like to say that I truly admire and applaud all the men and women that helped in any way they could even if by sacrificing their own life's to save another's, on that dreadful day. And to leave two quotes here I think these are fitting one from Cynthia Ozick. "What we remember from childhood we remember forever — permanent ghosts, stamped, inked, imprinted, eternally seen." And here is the other one, “Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. ”
– President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

9/11

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your mom. I've really enjoyed reading your blog, and seeing your journey through your pictures.
    It always amazes me also, that school-aged kids now have no idea & no experience with the tragedy of 9/11. What will learn about it in their history books?
    The emotions of that day, that week, and every moment since is something that we really, truly will "never forget".

    ReplyDelete