Thursday, October 29, 2015

Dance The Night Away

Ok so Wednesday night my school had what they call Imatrikulacion or what it should be called is first year students hazing and dance. Very strange, first hour was the seniors hazing the freshman, in front of teacher, ya not really gonna happen in America but ok different country different culture. Then the night turned to dancing, I hate these formal dances where you dress formally and dance like buffoons, I think its totally redundant to dress nice and then act like an idiot hopping all over. So I've never had fun at any school dance and this one was the same way for about the first hour. Didn't like dancing, neither did a class mate named Ana who moved here from Russia in February. I wen up to the balcony and just watched, until my classmates saw me and were waving me down to dance, I knew if I didn't go they would come up to get me, so I turned around and started to walk down, then I noticed Ana reading a book in the corner. Uuhh no if I'm going your coming with. She did and slowly as the night progressed we both started to dance more and more and act like fools and it was an overall good night, I actually had fun at a school dance for the first time ever. At the end of the night I told Ana thank you because I've never danced like that before or had fun at one of these things. The best part is she said. "No thank you because normally I sit in the corner at these things and just watch, I only dance like that in my room MAYBE." It was a very neat moment, two foreigners not knowing this place, and both slightly reserved, throwing caution to the wind and having a fun evening together due to a common interest of not liking to dance and ending up dancing, in the infamous words of David Lee Roth and Van Halen "Danced the night away." So thank you Ana for making a high school dance fun for once.

On a foot note, some of you may say he's not reserved, yes and no is my answer. I have no problem making fun of my self to break the ice in any situation, but I am reserved about the way I look at public functions, aka dancing, public speaking, playing my musical instrument, so on and so on. The end of this blog post was technically before this foot note, so you can just ignore it if you want. Oh wait you didn't know that until just now so HA.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I like the irony of the fact that your "common interest", is in fact a disinterest in dancing (at the oft uncomfortable school engagements nonetheless).

    ReplyDelete